- Why is the collective called Zen in Black Skin?
- I want to request a pop-up at my event, but I have a specific request.
- I am not Black or a person of color, can I participate or contribute to Zen in Black Skin?
- What exactly is offered at Zen in Black Skin pop-ups?
- I missed a club meeting(s). Is it too late to sign up?
Why is the collective called Zen in Black Skin?
Zen in Black Skin is a wellness collective, and the name is solely reflective of the founders finding zen in their own skin. As Black people, we have overcome many circumstances of systemic oppression and ancestral memory dating back hundreds of years. We found our peace, or zen, through creative outlets like photography, writing, and designing. We create best when we’re well, so we utilize mindfulness, nature and movement to come to our full selves, and share those experiences with others in hopes of transforming their idea of zen within themselves.
I want to request a pop-up at my event, but I have a specific request.
Flexibility is our strong suite. In your contact form, just let us know what your vision is–whether you need us for yoga and mindfulness or for creative services like live poetry or creative direction, we will accommodate your needs if the date is available on our end.
I am not Black or a person of color, can I participate or contribute to Zen in Black Skin?
Any and every person who is interested in cultivating a holistic approach to their own wellness is invited to participate in our pop-ups and activities. As creators of safe spaces for Black, indigenous, LatinX, and other people of color, we ask that you respect the shared space and only participate if you consider yourself an accomplice to these groups of people. If you are not comfortable taking up space, please consider donating to Zen in Black Skin through our pay-what-you-can system.
What exactly is offered at Zen in Black Skin pop-ups?
Our pop-ups vary based on the event we are attending.
- Zen in Black Skin pop-ups offer affirmations and nature photography available for purchase, yoga tips and demos, and live personalized poetry typed on a vintage typewriter. Depending on the event, we may activate one or all aspects for the pop-up.
- Yoga pop-ups include mats, blocks, and refreshments for participants
I missed a club meeting(s). Is it too late to sign up?
It’s never too late to sign up. Our photography club is on-going with various focus groups and activities. It may be trickier to slide in the Liberation Literacy Club, but we encourage you to register and see where we are in our current book reading or writing prompts.